Search This Blog

Friday, July 15, 2011

Cultivate the Heart

We have had 105 degree temperatures with no rain.  The ground is dry and hard.  The grass crackles under my feet.  The flowers are droopy.  I went outside last night to water.  I expected the water to absorb quickly.  As I poured the water on top of the hard ground I noticed it pooled and slowly rolled off instead of being absorbed.  This surprised me and immediately I had a word picture in my mind.

I thought about our hearts and the Word of God.  We attend church to worship and hear God's word.  If our hearts are hard as the word is being preached it is very possible the truth will pool and roll off us.  "Today, if you will hear His voice, Do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion." Hebr 3:7  It is a must that we cultivate our relationship with God throughout the week.  As we spend time in private worship, prayer, and Bible study our hearts become soft and pliable.  As I water and work my garden the ground becomes soft and able to absorb the water it so desperately needs.  Don't allow your heart to become hard through the week expecting the truth to penetrate on Sundays. God can break through any ones hard heart but what incredible nutrients you miss each week as your heart continues to harden  The truth of God's word will either harden your heart or soften your heart. Bow today and drink from the rivers of His pleasures.

No comments: