Search This Blog

Thursday, October 13, 2011

My Secret Place

He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High
Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty
Ps. 91:1

Can you remember, as a kid, your favorite place to hide?  I enjoyed sitting in a yard full of clovers at my grandmother's house.  It was so peaceful outside by myself alone with my thoughts.  I did not know the Lord at this time but I believe He was cultivating a heart that desires quietness and peace.  As I've come to know Him I discovered an intimacy of dwelling in a new secret place.  I no longer need to be alone with my thoughts.  I need to be alone with my Lord. 

I can think of two people God has placed in my life that I enjoy being in their presence.  I expect nothing from these two people except their time. I just enjoy being with them.  I let them share, talk, pour out their heart to me.  I enjoy the intimacy we have together.  I come away with their wisdom, attitudes, and their love.  It is easy for me to lay aside my fleshly desires to serve them. 

Last week, I attempted to enjoy God this way.  I desired to sit in His presence without asking anything from His hand.  Originally, I believed I did this quite well, but God in His mercy had some lessons for me. 

The first day was difficult.  I had no idea how greedy of a person I am.  In fact, I was so used to asking for things that it proved convicting and humbling for me.  One the second day, God gave me the picture of sitting in my friends presence and how He could be so much more of a friend to me. That was the picture I needed.  With humility, repentance, and great love I sat in His presence to enjoy His company.  I attempted to not ask for a thing but Him.  He is gracious.  He shared His heart.  He changed mine.  He shared His wisdom and imparted it to me.  He shared His love and told me to give it away.  He shared His attitude and told me to walk in it.  The intimacy I shared with Christ is mine.  Mine to have each and every moment of the day.  It is yours to have also.  But you must cultivate a relationship with Him.

You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand. Ps. 16:11

But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image form glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord. 2 Cor. 3:18

And we have such trust through Christ toward God.  Not that we are sufficient of ourselves t think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God, who also made us sufficient as ministers off the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit, for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. 2 Cor. 3:4-6

No comments: