Search This Blog

Friday, November 19, 2010

Be Faithful

As I read this morning and pondered my day yesterday, I ran across something interesting in the book of Matthew.  Read Matthew 25:14-30.  This is the parable of the "Talents". This parable is sandwich between the second coming of Christ and the judgment of Christ. I don't know Bible history to know if this is the way it was lined out in the original text but I am going to pretend it is.  (Someone out there in blog land can let me know-please) 

I notice in the passages before Matthew 25,"Parable of the Talents", we are told to look for Christ's return--"Watch for you do not know the hour your Lord is coming."  After the parable of the "Talent" is the judgement--"All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats" 

Let's look at the parable:
Each person has natural abilities and special gifting from the Father.  We are each given different levels of responsibilities toward His kingdom work.  All He calls us to do is be faithful in what He has given us.  If you can preach, be faithful and do it.  If you can give, be faithful and do it.  If you can extend mercy, be faithful and do it.  If you can teach, be faithful and do it.  Faithfulness is the key here.  Notice in the passage one man is given five talents and one man is given two talents but each man received exactly the same reward, indicating that the reward is based on faithfulness and not results. 

We are to be faithful with the call God has placed on our life as we look for His return knowing we will hear these words, "Come you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took me in; I was naked and you clothed Me, I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me."

There was one more thing I noticed...In chapter 26, after Jesus shares the plot of His Crucifixion...Mary sweet Mary comes with the costly oil to pour out upon her Jesus.  Notice what the disciples did (not the scribes and pharisees) in Matthew 26:8-9."But when His disciples saw it,they were indignant, saying, "why this waste?  For this fragrant oil might have been sold for much and given to the poor."

Do you see it?  We are to be faithful to the Lord in which He has gifted us as we await for His return.  We are to be devoted to Him as Mary was as she poured the fragrant oil upon Him.  Friends do you want to be faithful?  Pour your life out upon Christ. Put your devotion upon Him.  Be faithful to Him.  It is Christ Jesus by the Holy Spirit that produces fruit in your life.  Yes, the world and even God's own people may question...but in the end, may Christ find you and me faithful!

No comments: