Search This Blog

Thursday, November 4, 2010

A Tube of Heart

"In the multitude of words sin is not lacking, but he who restrains his lips is wise." Proverbs 10:19

Have you ever heard yourself talk?  Have you ever listened really listened to words coming out of your mouth?  I had the awesome privilege of seeing this verse (Prov. 10:19) played out in my life this morning.  I know you are thinking,"she held her lips, she is so wise!" Ya right! I think you will understand what I mean by a privilege as this blog rolls along.

Look at Matthew 15:11
"Not what goes into the mouth defiles a man,
but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man." 
Guys, our words reveal our heart. 
Take this illustration, You want to brush your teeth. 
You grab the toothpaste and begin to squeeze. 
What comes out of the tube? 
Toothpaste, correct! 
Why did toothpaste come out of the tube? 
Because that is what is in the tube. 
What ever is inside the tube must come out. 
If it was a tube of steroid cream and you squeezed it..steroid cream would come out. 
Do you understand that? You see my friends, when words come out of our mouths they reveal what is deep within our hearts.  So let me ask you, When you are squeezed with the pressures of this life, what comes out of your mouth?

I have noticed in my life it is the small irritations that reveal my true heart.  In my case it is usually people related and that was the case this morning.  As I was sharing with a friend some concerns I see, I had an opportunity to listen to my words.  The more I talked the more I saw the ugliness of the words and instantly knew my heart was in need of repentance. 
"For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted, but the sorrow of the world produces death." 2 Corinthians 7:10

Now we are starting to see why I believe this morning was a privilege. God choose to convict my heart with the truth of His word.  He did not leave me in my state of sin.  God in His great grace and mercy allowed me to hear my heart through my words.

So I ask you today...please listen to your words.  Know the words coming from your mouth are revealing your heart.  Bow your knee to the conviction of the Holy Spirit and remember the words of 1 John 1:9
"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

No comments: