Search This Blog

Friday, May 13, 2011

Behavior Modification

Last couple of days I have been a substitute teacher at the middle school.  In truth, I have been attempting to keep 6th graders under behavior control and yes I do this by bribing.  They are rewarded with a game of "Heads Up Seven Up" for good behavior, respect, and completion of work.  It works well and let me say I am thankful for that!!

As I was watching them attempt to adjust their behavior, I was reminded of my great gift of salvation. My heart praised that behavior control was NOT a requirement.   "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not of works lest anyone should boast." Eph 1:8-9  Just think about it...could you ever be "good" enough to receive God's gift?  How much "good" is enough.  Even if you kept the outward appearance of the 10 commandments, what about your heart? 

 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which indeed appear beautiful outwardly, but inside are full of dead men’s bones and all uncleanness.  Even so you also outwardly appear righteous to men, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness" Matthew 23:27-28

These children were modifying their behavior not because they wanted to please me but because they wanted a reward.  I thought about this and wondered about my heart as well. Is it set to please my Savior?  To please the ONE who gave up His life for me.   Scripture teaches God is a rewarder.  He rewards only one thing-our FAITH in Christ.

 But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

Lay your works aside and seek to please the Savior by surrender your will and behavior to His Lordship.

No comments: