Search This Blog

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Goodness

John 10:10 The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy.  I have come that they may have life, and they may have it more abundantly.

I was reminded by the Holy Spirit tonight the difference between surviving life and living life abundantly.  Today I survived.  I had a long list of tasks and I was on a mission of completing each task.   When I am in this mindset, I lose sight of God and the joy of serving other people.  I may still serve and I may do it in the name of Jesus but the task becomes more important than the people or Christ. I am not sure if any of you can relate to this or if I even know how to explain it but I must try.

Teresa brought to my attention tonight that the words "prayer and supplication" in Philippians 4 means to look at God as He is, to put our focus on God.  That was my first jolt of reality and I was determined to focus on God as we met to pray, with my thoughts jumping and my mind racing from task to problem to person this was not easy.  But when we are honest and confess to God and ask for His help in settling our heart and mind, He comes quickly and does just that.  He came and tied up all the roaming thoughts, quieted my heart where I could hear His voice and it was clear. He spoke directly to my heart. Christ did not come for me to survive my day.  He came to give me life and to give it abundantly.  Friend my heart bowed again in confession, forgiveness was given and peace was sweet.  Yes, He was rejoicing over me with singing.

I pray that I am reminded of this truth daily, for God to keep me from slipping back to old habits of being task minded.  God is faithful and oh so merciful to remind me when I start veering off from His presence. I am thankful for a God who calls me back and for two friends who will remind me often of this truth.

1 comment:

RAT said...

It was such a sweet evening. God truly spoke and I'm so thankful!