Search This Blog
Tuesday, January 3, 2012
A friend and I were discussing obedience. It is her desire (as well as mine) to obey immediately when the Lord speaks. As we were discussing different situations, she asked this question, “How can I know if what is being asked of me is from God or just from myself?”
I believe this is a good question. It is a question I have asked myself over the years. If fact this question crosses my mind at every crossroad of decision. This question can also be a distraction and an excuse to not obey so caution must be exercised as well.
So how can we know? Let me give you some questions to ask yourself.
1) Does it line up with the Word of God? Aaron Matthews tweeted yesterday, “The Spirit of God will never contradict the Word of God.” To hear God clearly you must know His word. Your Word I have hidden in my heart that I might not sin against you. Ps. 119:11
2) Will the action show the love of Christ to other? ..Having compassion for one another, love as brothers, be tenderhearted, be courteous. 2 Peter 3:8
3) Will the action bring encouragement, faith, and hope to another? Comfort one another and edify one another. 1Thess 5:11 But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness. Hebrews 3:13
4) If obeyed will peace rule your heart? The work of righteousness will be peace and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance forever. Is 32:17
5) Does being obedient bring God’s name glory? Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Corth. 10:31
In conclusion, does it really matter? If it is the right thing to do we must do it! Remember it is our job to be obedient and we are to leave the results of the other person’s response with God. So be obedient today!
Posted by Unknown at 7:26 AM