Search This Blog

Monday, April 4, 2011

Dodging Bullets!

At times I feel I am caught in other's battles.  Last night we were called to a time of prayer for the Ivory Coast.  We listened to a native person speak of his home country.  We listened to his experiences of supporting, encouraging, and praying for his parents and siblings safely as they live in the midst of a civil war raging in the Ivory Coast.  Bakary parents are Christian's living in the country.  People like you and I, living out their lives, walking in faith, serving their God.  Other's have decided to begin fighting, this fighting is effecting this family, for the bullets are falling around their home. This family is in the cross-fire and to survive must crawl around on the floor and stay as prisoners in their own home. 

As I thought about this, I thought about my spiritual life...I see a picture of a spiritual battle raging before me.  Raging in other's lives with hurt, divorce, abuse, poverty, sickness, disrespectful children, etc.  At times I feel I am caught in the crossfire.  This battle raging is not about me.  The battle raging is not even my problem.  But I do believe God has called me to speak an encouraging word to the hurting.  To direct them,as they are shooting bullets and/or dodging bullets,to the Lord.  To pray for them and lift them up before the Father.  For He alone is their hope and help. 

I have discovered lately, many of these bullets are hitting me. I feel beat up in other people's battles.  The focus of our great God and Savior, the message of the cross is being lost as I listen.   God is merciful and I find I am slow in learning.  In 1 Corinthians 10:13, God tells us, He is faithful and will make a way of escape when we are tempted. 

He has done just that.  Having a high view-exalted view of God has been the theme of my life for the past two weeks.  I believe God was making a way of dodging the bullets that were being shot at those around me.  He was making a way of escape from the cross-fire. Was I listening?  I thought I was until I started noticing the bruises and wounds on my soul.  This morning I took God seriously. First repenting for not taking Him seriously and then searching His word for His glorious name, the names who reveal who He is, who reveal His amazing character.  Two hours later, I made it through two names.  I hope these Scriptures encourage you today.  That is always my purpose.  God comforts me so I can comfort you. 2 Corth. 1:4

Elohim -Strong Creator
The heavens declare the glory of God and the sky proclaim the work of His hands. Ps. 19:1

Ah Lord God You made the heavens and earth by Your great power and outstretched arm.  There is NOTHING to hard for You.  Jeremiah 32:17

Thus says the LORD my Redeemer and He who formed me from the womb.  I am the LORD who makes all things.  Who stretches out the heaven all alone.  Who spread abroad the earth by Myself. Is 44:24

Jehovah Yahweh - I Am, Self-existent One, Unchanging One
God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands. Nor is He worshiped with men’s hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives to all life, breath, and all things. Acts 17:24-25

Of old You laid the foundation of the earth, And the heavens are the work of Your hands.They will perish, but You will endure. Yes, they will all grow old like a garment;  Like a cloak You will change them, And they will be changed.  But You are the same, And Your years will have no end. Psalm 102:25-27

Mediate upon these passages and exalt God.  He will be your shield if you are ever caught in the cross-fire.

1 comment:

Aaron W. Matthews said...

I thank you for your posts every now and then, but this is one I am very thankful for. Your Holy Spirit-given insight and heart bent toward glorifying God make me reflect on how powerful and wonderful HE is! Great insight in this word of encouragement. Thank you for being real, and for being a strong follower of Christ!