Search This Blog

Monday, April 18, 2011

Stinkin Thinkin

When I seem out of sorts in my spiritual life, when my thinkin becomes quite stinkin and I need a reality check, I place myself under some tough sovereignty preaching.  I say tough because our flesh does not normally like to hear the truth.  We are so wrapped up in "self" and questioning God as to why tragedy is happening to us that we forget who the God of the Bible truly is.  I need to be reminded of His sovereignty and my humanity.  I need to be reminded that I am not entitled to anything.  I need to be reminded that all I have is on loan from God. "Naked I came from my mother's womb and naked I shall return there.  The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; Blessed be the name of the LORD" Job 1:21.  It is difficult for us to wrap our small mind around this great God and understand His ways.  That is just it..do we really want to serve a God we can explain away?  Do we really want a God who fits into our explanations?  I don't. 

That is why I listen to men like Sam Storms, John Piper, Charles Spurgeon and the likes.  They paint a picture of God being great, holy, and righteousness.  I can serve this great God who is so much bigger than me.

I want to share a  link from Sam Storms.  His message titled, "Earthquakes, Tsunamis, and the mystery of suffering and sovereignty of God", has spoken to my heart and brought me back to reality of who this God is of whom I serve.  Dr. Storms teaches out of the book of Job. Listed are some thoughts from his podcast.

"Is God worthy of our worship and devotion even when He remains silent in our suffering?"
"Would we trust/commit our lives to Him even if there were no benefits?"

Great questions and the purpose of his message is to prepare our hearts for the time of tragedy.  We live in a fallen world.  Pain tragedy and heartache will come.  But how will you respond to this God when your world is turned upside down?  I pray his message encourages your heart as it has mine.

http://bridgewaychurch.com/podcast/category/bridgeway-messages/page/2

No comments: