Search This Blog

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Evangelism A Way Of Life

Evangelism is not something to do; it is a way to live. 

Practical ideas of living out evangelism.  I desire to go on a foreign mission trip to share Christ. I am thankful for my friends who have sacrificed many things to live overseas as a missionary.  Not having the funds or the availability to go on a mission trip is no excuse to not evangelize.  

  Therefore, go and make disciples of all the peoples;
baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands
I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
Matthew 28:19-20

In the Greek language "go" is an aorist participle, which means it takes on the mood of the command-making disciples.  Priscilla Shires states, "It could accurately be translated going.  In other words, the command to make disciples should be accomplished while believers are going about their business. As you are going make disciples in all the nations baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit."

Cool thought, as you live your life make disciples.  What keeps you busy during the day?  Work, school, family, etc.  Make a list of every person involved in your life on a weekly basis.  These are the people God has given you to "make disciples", "to teach all He has commanded". 

Start small, begin with your family and friends. Our relationships are not just for our enjoyment.  God has a bigger purpose in mind.  As I began listing the people in my life, I was amazed at how many people I have an influence over.  I want my life to matter and count worthy of God's commands.  We must live purposefully with the thought of making disciples as we walk this journey called life. 

The next practical thought is we must have something to say.  Do you ever feel that way.  I have nothing to give.  Many times that is because we do not know Christ.  We have not taken the time to interact with Him to know all He has done for us and what He desires to do in others lives.  You can only give away what has been given to you.  Start small again.  Find one area of blessing and expound on that area.  My one area is peace.  I have lived so many years without true peace, searching for meaning and the correct way to do life.  Jesus has given me peace and life.  I now have something to give away to others.  Pray.  Seek the Lord for your one thing and begin to give it away to the people God has so graciously placed in your life.

You are a blessing!  Live purposely making disciples today.

No comments: