Search This Blog

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Pink Hair Brush

It happened!  I actually did it! I threw an old hair brush away.  The pink vent brush had been a part of my morning routine for the last 20 years. It had seen better days.  There were teeth missing and of course all the protective ends were gone.  Each tooth was crooked and bent.  This was a brush I cherished but it looked horrendous.  I could never share it and I kept it hid from others sight.  So last week I bought a new brush.  I did not trash the old immediately, for I was not sure if I would like the new brush. But this morning the old went into the trash. 

I see spiritual truth in this scenario.  Many times we hold on to habits, behaviors, friends, etc because we are comfortable with them.  God may be calling us to change, but we are resistant  because we do not know what that will look or feel like.  Let me ask you and myself a question?  Do we walk by faith or sight?  I say faith but I'm not sure I am completely honest with my answer.  I desire to walk by faith but many times fear of the unknown wins out.  When we are not willing to walk by faith, we are not trusting nor are we dependant upon God.  We are trusting in ourselves and in our own understanding. 

Trust in the LORD with all your heart
   and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
   and he will make your paths straight.
Do not be wise in your own eyes;
   fear the LORD and shun evil.
This will bring health to your body
   and nourishment to your bones.
Proverbs 3:5-7


Sometimes we may decide we will submit and allow the Lord to change us, but we set back the "comfortable" idea, item, etc, just in case something goes wrong.  I think of Peter.  He was zealous for the Lord.  He left his fishing job to follow Jesus.  Change was required.  But I wonder if in the back of Peter's mind, if he felt secure knowing if this way of life does not work out, he can go back to fishing?   I am not sure about Peter, I know I tend to think this way.  Again it shows a lack of faith and trust in Christ. We are called to not look back but follow Christ, walking in faith.  "Anyone who puts a hand to the plow and then looks back is not fit for the Kingdom of God."Luke 9:62

There is one more thing I must share about this vent brush.  I told Kolby the brush went into the trash, she immediately went to get it out.  She is my sentimental child and this brush had meaning to her. Many times we decide to surrender to the Lord and allow Him to change us. But people/our family will try to distract or prevent us from following the Lord. They will not be comfortable with the changes that are happening in our heart.  They will not understand.  But when we bow, surrender, and wait upon the Lord, He will come in power to give us strength to be obedient and to walk by faith.

So what habits, thoughts, or behaviors are you holding onto that needs to be trashed?  Jesus requires us to walk by faith not by sight.  Confess these things to the Lord.  Lay them at His feet and ask him to fill you with His Holy Spirit and a love for Him and His Word.  We have a promise in 1 John 1:9.

But if we confess our sins to him,
he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins
and to cleanse us from all wickedness

God's ways are so much better than our ways.  Won't you taste and see that the Lord is good today.  Seek Him while the opportunity is here.

No comments: